Sunday, April 6, 2008

love letters.

so the kids at reformation apparently think i am fantastic. now, i am not quite sure how this happened. i think i said, "hello, how are you?"

there is one little girl, who is 5 and has 2 brothers and a cousin in my confirmation class. she is a very girly girl. always in dresses and frills. BUT, very spunky and self assured. it is a great combination.

this little one has decided to call me her "teddy bear". i am not sure why. at every potluck and annual meeting she follows me around and gives me hugs. very sweet.

today, for the first time since september, we had a children's sermon. a few parents wanted one and pastor asked me to take this on. since the congregation has gotten out of this habit, the kids were a little surprised. but this little girl was the first one up front and stood right in front of me and made sure i got my hug.

and of course, i asked questions and got answers that i did not expect. children never operate on our schedules or syllabi. which is what make them so fantastic. a little boy said he had a cut on his knee. in the context of the little chat, i said that Jesus knew about the cut. the little boy looked at me and said, "wow." then, "does he know about everbody?" me: "yup. everybody." i got some big eyes from the little boy in response.

as we were recessing out during the last hymn, the little spunky girl slipped me a note from the edge of her pew. it was FANTASTIC!!

she drew pictures of me and her. i am pretty certain she drew my nose rings. which made me giggle. very realistic. and on the picture she wrote, "i love vicar margaret." very sweet. i hope she is always that loving to people. i hope that she is always that thoughtful and gracious.

things were hectic with pastor being sick through the end of lent and holy week. i have needed two weeks to recover. to get a little note from a kid definitely reminded me to hang in with the good stuff. and that the best stuff is usually very little. like a sweet little note slipped into your hands by a child.

No comments: