Tuesday, November 27, 2007

back to dc.

i went home to minneapolis for thanksgiving. no. i did not make it north during my five days home. i entertained myself in the little apple. they were such full days. i bounced into the airport that monday night. the car rental people laughed at my giddiness. but before i even got there...i had a moment.

as i waited in the dulles airport, outside of dc, i had a moment. in my excitement to see the city i love, i felt a twinge of something in my heart. "what is this?" i thought. "is it sadness?" "am i feeling a little sad to leave these people?" "oh, no! i think i am falling in love with this funny little congregation!"

it is indeed right and salutary that i should fall in love with this little congregation. that i should begin to love the people entrusted to my care. it stunned me. they are so different from me, yet my heart has begun to care for them. i have begun to worry about them and wonder about them. it is good.

and so i bounced around minneapolis, just like my boys bounce in my confirmation class. i was delighted to see the things that fill my heart with wonder. i was happy to see my favorite hairstylist, my favorite cafe collective, my favorite co-op. then, all those wonderful people that i love at home. it was the first time fiona said i love you to me. melted me.

i came back to dc. stunned. immediately felt stressed. i realized how much i reflect the culture of minneapolis and minnesota in myself. dc still feels foreign. yet, i think i am beginning to feel like i am the vicar to this congregation. so. dc...strange. reformation...good.

so that is that.

No comments: