Thursday, September 13, 2007

my new hairstylist

it was only a matter of time that i told you all about my new, fabulous hairstylist!
this evening i went into a salon close to the house office buildings. the woman that washed my hair said that every client was a gift from God. how is that for a witness? puts me to shame. she said that every tip is a gift from God. if only i had that sort of graciousness.

the hairstylist was from Colombia. she asked me where my hair had been dyed...she liked it. i said back home in minnesota. we talked about how i ended up on capitol hill. she asked if i worked in congress...okay, now i was dressed in my scrubby jeans and a tank top...i so did not fit in with the hill crowd! i said no. i told her i was going to seminary to be a pastor. that i was here in DC to learn about being a pastor. this opened up a fun conversation. she asked me what i thought of people here. i said they are too serious. they do not know how to enjoy life. she said, "i am from colombia. we are life!" she concurred with me. then...she talked about hugging trees and the spirit of the sun. it was beautiful. she was talking about enjoying the created world.

she finished my hair and said, "you could be in a magazine!"

and the best part...

she blessed me as i left.

she said that i could come visit her since i am new to the hill.

it was nice getting a blessing from a stranger. it was nice in a city that is so tightly wound to meet a person that could maintain her spirit.

i hope i can be that free with blessing people.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

So where's the photo of this new, fabulous do'?!

Natalie

Natalie said...

Sorry, I think it was grammatically supposed to be 'do (apostrophe on the inside). My humble apologies. :)